‘Buy Local’ is nothing new. It’s a campaign that has been around for many years with ‘use it or lose it’ the central message. With the New Year a time when many people are setting their resolutions, making an intention to shop locally, pledging to meet up Fleet for a coffee or a meal out could make all the difference.
Here are seven reasons why you should shop locally and support businesses in Fleet.
- Invest in the local economy: When you shop locally in Fleet, you’re more likely to be supporting a small, independently-owned business. When you support local businesses and local people, this money will stay in the local economy. Those business owners and staff will buy from other local businesses, supporting the community and local jobs. If you support a national chain you are still supporting local jobs and local taxes which are invested into the community. Did you know that if every household in Fleet spent an extra £10 a week in Fleet this would boost our local economy by £8.8m.
- More sustainable shopping. Local businesses are a more sustainable way to shop as they often source products locally, buying high quality products with lower production and distribution impact on the environment. Restaurants and cafes will often use local suppliers and local produce reducing the ‘field to fork’ journey. If you return something that you bought online about 30% returns go to landfill, which doesn’t happen with a return to a physical shop. Want more infomration? We’re really lucky to have Scoop, our Zero waste shop here in Fleet for sustainable shopping and expert advice.
- Good for your physical health. Many houses are within walking or cycling distance of the town centre. Coming into Fleet that way helps keep you active and reduces your impact on the environment.
- Discover unique, one-of-a-kind products: Local high streets often have a variety of unique, locally-made products that you won’t find at big chain stores. This can be a great opportunity to discover new and interesting items. How about looking to see if what you want is available from a business in Fleet before heading online (chances are it will be).
- Shining stars. Delivering a high quality service comes naturally to businesses who really care about their customers so it won’t come as a surprise that many of our local businesses are frequently award finalists and winners. For example, some of our salons who have one awards this year include Daniel Spiller from Marc Antoni winning Professional Colour Technician of the Year at the British Hairdressing Awards, KJM Salons won Best team (Hampshire) in the Hair Salon Awards and Salon Cabelo won seven British Hair and Beauty Awards this year.
- Good for your mental health. Having the opportunity for personal, human connection is something we have done less of in the past few years but if you use a business regularly, they’ll get to know you and you’ll get to know them. You might also get to know other regular customers too making time in Fleet more than a ‘trip to the shops’.
- Supporting the local community. By buying from local businesses, you are helping to ensure that they will remain a vital part of the community for years to come. Local businesses often contribute to school raffles, dress their windows to support events such as the Fleet Carnival and take part in community events. Supporting local businesses helps maintain our vibrant and diverse local economy making Fleet an even more attractive place to live and work.
With the tough few years we’ve had, your support means more than ever to the businesses in Fleet so we’d love to hear about your high street heroes and the joys you have discovered when supporting our high street businesses.