On 1 January 2019, Fleet’s Zero Waste Shop, Scoop, opened in Fleet. Founder, Kate Cottrell started a Facebook group, Keep Fleet Clean, in April 2018 to encourage people in Fleet and the local areas to reduce waste, pick up litter and generally keep Fleet as a beautiful place to live. In July that year, inspired by people saying how great it would be to have a ‘zero waste’ shop locally Kate tentatively suggested she’d ‘look into it’. The result is Scoop, a Zero Waste Shop based in Fleet, Hampshire on Reading Road South which opened on 1 January 2019.
So what’s the concept?
The aim is to allow you to shop without plastic, you can bring your own containers or buy containers in the shop. Products are sold by weight or volume so you just buy what you need. And prices are competitive too.
There’s lots of choice in Scoop, with new items arriving frequently, but here’s an example of some of the things you can buy at Scoop:
Food and drink
- Lots of herbs and spices including basil, bay leaves, mint, mixed herbs, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, arrowroot, black peppercorns, cayenne pepper, ground chillies, cinnamon, cloves, ground coriander, ground cumin, curry powder, ground fenugreek, garam masala, garlic powder, ginger powder, ground mustard, smoked paprika, coarse sea salt, fine sea salt, turmeric, mixed spices, ground white pepper and ground nutmeg.
- Nuts including chocolate coated
- Red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar.
Beauty Products and healthcare
- Soap, shampoo, conditioner
- Bamboo cotton buds
- Naked Necessities shaving
- Beeutiful skincare
- Dentabs and bamboo toothbrushes.
Kitchen and household items
- Clever Cactus bags, washable kitchen roll, wipes, dish scrubbies
- Jedz bottles
- Who Gives a Crap toilet rolls
- Beeswax wraps.
Kate also aims to source products locally wherever possible, can advise on reducing plastic waste, eliminating single use plastics and is introducing classes too. As Kate herself say, “My key challenge is still to come – opening a shop is not enough. I need to help to educate adults and the children who will inherit this problem about what has gone wrong and how we can start to help it. I need to show people that they can make a difference.”
Scoop can be found at 14, Reading Road South, Fleet. GU52 7QL.
Scoop Opening hours
Monday and Tuesday: 9.30am to 2.30pm
Thursday: 9.30am to 4.30pm
Friday: 9.30am to 2.30pm
Saturday: 9am to 5pm
Follow Scoop on Facebook to find out about the latest products and classes here.
Join the Keep Fleet Clean Facebook group here.