Fleet BID has written to Hart District Councillors about the trial pedestrianisation of Fleet Road.
As the BID we believe that this scheme needs to be given sufficient time so that it can be evaluated properly. This includes:
- Time to understand the long-term traffic flow implication.
- Time for the landscaping scheme to be implemented and to understand how this affects the use of the town.
- Time to measure footfall over an extended period.
- Time to measure car park data.
- Time for activities to be organised and for businesses to have the opportunity to get involved.
- Time to evaluate the success of events and activities.
- Time for businesses to see the impact on trade over time as people come into the town for events and activities.
It is not ideal, but we are not in an ideal world. This is a trial. But without a fundamental rethink of the use of space and a vision to adapt as society changes, the alternative is managing decline, which we believe is unacceptable.
Read the full letter here.
About trial pedestrianisation
Hart District Council have installed a temporary road closure on the section of Fleet Road from Upper Street / Victoria Road to Church Road. The part-pedestrianisation will mean more shoppers can maintain social distancing and support the economic recovery for the business community.
As well as making Fleet a safe place to visit, this project provides the opportunity for the space to be used for events and activities. Hart District Council’s plans include the provision of temporary outdoor seating and landscaping to improve the attractiveness of the space and we are looking at ways to deliver additional activities to make use of the space and attract people into Fleet.
Fleet BID are in discussions with Fleet Town Council and are planning a number of activities in the space that can take place safely and also give people a reason to visit Fleet.
Read Fleet BID’s previous statement on the plans to trial pedestrianisation here.