What you need: feeds 4-6
- 2 large egg whites
- 120g caster sugar
- 500g strawberries hulled and roughly chopped (or you could use raspberries, cherries, bananas, peaches etc…)
- 450ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons liqueur of choice (i.e. Malibu, Kirsch, Cointreau, Amaretto etc…) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons jam (raspberry or strawberry)
- You will also need glasses or a large bowl to serve in, and an electric mixer and Greaseproof paper and a baking sheet.
How to make:
1. Preheat the oven to 120C/100C fan/gas 1 and line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl using an electric whisk or tabletop mixer until they reach stiff peaks (Photo 1), then add the sugar in 3 lots, re-whisking to stiff peaks every time. (Photo 2).
3. Spoon large dollops of the mixture onto the baking parchment, (Photo 3) cook on the bottom shelf of the oven for 1hr – 1hr15 mins until the meringues are completely hard and come off the paper easily. (Photo 4) Leave to cool.
4. In a large bowl whisk the cream and 2 tablespoons of your liqueur of choice (leave out if not using) with the icing sugar until it holds its shape. (Photo 5).
5. In each bowl place a spoon of the cream at the bottom. Roughly the meringues and add half as the next layer. Sprinkle over half of the chopped fruit. Repeat the layers of cream, meringue and fruit so you have two layers in each dish
6. In a jug mix the jam with 2 tablespoons of the liqueur of your choice or water if not using so that it is runny. Drizzle the jammy sauce over the top of each dish
7. Enjoy (Photo 6).
For more information on Jane Cooper and other recipes visit the Cooking with Jane page here