Chocolate and vanilla marble cake
Lovely cake and easy for the kids to help bake as well.
What you need:
- 175g butter softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 25g butter
- 15g cocoa powder
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 100g icing sugar
- 25g white chocolate (optional)
You will also need a 2lb loaf tin and either a liner or some greaseproof or baking parchment to line the tin. An electric mixer or mixing bowl and wooden spoon. 2 large bowls.
How to make the cake:
1. Grease and line the loaf tin. Preheat the oven to 160c/gas 3.
2. In a small bowl mix the cocoa powder and hot water until smooth. (Photo 1).
3. Put the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs, milk and vanilla into a bowl and beat together for about 2 minutes until well blended. (Photo 2 & 3).
4. Spoon half the mixture into the second mixing bowl and set aside.
5. Add the cocoa mixture to the cake mix in one of the bowls only. Mix it in well until evenly combined. (Photo 4).
6. Spoon the vanilla and chocolate cake mix’s randomly into the loaf tin until all the mixture is used up. Use a spatula or back of a spoon to slightly level the top. (Photo 5 & 6).
7. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 50 minutes to 1 hour. You will know that it is done as the top should feel springy to the touch and the sides should have started to slightly shrink away from the sides. (Photo 7).
8. Leave to cool in the tin then turn out onto a cooling rack or plate.
9. For the icing: melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the cocoa, milk and icing sugar. Remove from the heat and mix thoroughly. You may need to add a drop more milk if too stiff. (Photo 8 & 9).
10. Spread the icing evenly over the top of the cake don’t worry if it drips down the sides. If you want to you can melt some white chocolate and drizzle over the top. (Photo 10 & 11).
For more information on Jane Cooper and other recipes visit the Cooking with Jane page here.