Great dish for a family or friends Meal now that we can start to meet up, socially distancing of course! The slow cooker does all the work with the meat finished on the BBQ. When buying the brisket don’t have it rolled so remove any strings so the meat is flat.
What you need: feeds 4-6 with leftovers
- about a 1.5kg piece of beef brisket
- 250ml beef stock
For the barbecue sauce:
- 1/2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed Or minced
- 250ml tomato ketchup
- 75ml Worcestershire sauce
- 40ml lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon malt vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or siracha
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
For the rub:
- 1 tablespoon each chilli powder and mustard powder
- 1/2 tablespoon each paprika ground cumin, garlic powder, ground black pepper, caster sugar
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
You will also need a slow cooker, and some bowls and a saucepan.
How to make: Turn the slow cooker to the Low setting.
1. To make the barbecue sauce, heat the oil in a frying pan, then cook onion and garlic for a few mins until soft. (Photo 1).
2. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients to the pan with a good pinch of salt and simmer on a low heat for 5-10 mins, the sauce should be lovely and thick. (Photo 3).
3. Make the rub by mixing all the ingredients together with a pinch of salt. (Photo 2). Rub the mix all over the beef and set aside.(Photo 4).
4. In the slow cooker dish, mix the beef stock and ½ the barbecue sauce. Add the brisket to the tin, (Photo 5) cover, then cook for 8-9 hrs until the meat is really tender when you push a fork into it. Put the remaining BBQ sauce in a dish ready to serve once the meat is cooked (Photo 6 & 7).
5. To finish the beef, get a barbecue fired up if using a charcoal BBQ wait until the coals are completely ashen – you want a low, not fierce, heat. If using a Gas BBQ regulate the heat to around 200 degrees.
6. Lift the beef out of the roasting tin and place on the barbecue to char. If your barbecue has a lid, close it now. Cook for about 20 mins, turning it carefully with tongs, until lightly charred all over and heated through. (Photo 8 & 9). Lift onto a board and serve sliced with the remaining barbecue sauce on the side and enjoy ! (Photo 10).