A lovely easy to make summer tart works well for dinner with a big salad, you can also add other toppings if you wish such as cherry tomatoes.
- 320g ready rolled puff pastry sheet
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 4 rashers of bacon smoked or unsmoked cut into small pieces
- 150g goats’ cheese log, sliced into small chunks
- 230g Asparagus
- 25g Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley or chives chopped finely
You will also need a saucepan and a large baking sheet
How to make:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment and unroll the puff pastry sheet onto it.
2. Score a 2cm-wide border around the edge of the pastry with a sharp knife, taking care not to cut all the way through. Prick the pastry inside the border all over with a fork to prevent it puffing up too much in the oven. (Photo 1)
3. Fry the bacon bits for 2-3 minutes so just cooked through not brown (Photo 2). Cook the asparagus in boiling water for just 2 minutes only then drain (Photo 3).
4. Spread the pesto over the pastry, avoid the edges (Photo 4), then the bacon bits on top (Photo 5), goats’ cheese chunks (Photo 6) and asparagus over the top (Photo 7). Season all over with salt and pepper.
5. Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden, remove from oven and finely grated Parmesan all over. Slice and serve with a salad, if liked.(Photo 9).
For more information on Jane Cooper and other recipes visit the Cooking with Jane page here